Who is looking after you?
Self care isn't selfish it is maintenance, yes, just repeat that again to yourself! Self care encourages you to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself. You cannot give to others what you don't have yourself, you can't pour from a cup that is half empty.
I know you are busy, and finding the time to take proper care of yourself can be hard. But if you don’t, no one else will, and it won’t be long before you’re battered from stress and exhaustion and operating in a mental fog where it’s hard to care about anything or anyone.
What can self care do for you... what can you do that takes a few minutes each day to look after yourself?
With a little bit of attention to your own self care, the foggy haze will lift, you will feel more connected to yourself, and nothing will seem quite as bad as it did before. We need to stop feeling guilty about spending time working on ourselves, we need to stop thinking of looking after ourselves as a pamper or a treat, and accept it as maintenance.
Here are my top tips for self care and boy don't we need them right now?
* Notice all of the small little things in life, be mindful in your actions, sit with your morning coffee, smell it, taste it, do nothing else but drink coffee and enjoy every sip.
*Spray your favourite perfume, let it take you back to a moment or memory.
* Personal development. Read something empowering every day for 15 mins a day, or download audible and listen to it.
* Run a bubble bath, lock the bathroom door and light a candle.
* Drink more water, it's an old one but a good one, I don't need to tell you what hydration does for your body.
*Podcasts.. what interests you? what do you want to learn more about? Do you want to laugh along with someone and their podcast? Do you want to resonate with somone who is on the same wavelength as you?
* Meditate... download the Insight timer app, its my favourite and it's free.
* Journal, create a new positive habit. Message me if you need help with this as I am running a 4 week workshop.
* Take a nap, rest and relaxation is really needed right now, don't be hard on yourself for doing this!
* Mantras, affirmations and quotes. I love a good quote, my social media is full of them. Make an effort to look at them at least 3 times a day. The more we tell ourselves how wonderful we are the more we will believe it.
* Eat healthy, again, I don't need to tell you how to do this, boost your immune system with fresh fruit and veg every day.
I thought I would add a recipe for you, this is one of my little self care routines. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do. I like to drink mine as I sit right next to the open fire.
350ml almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
¼ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger ( I prefer to fresh ginger)
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp maple syrup ( You can use organic honey too)
grind of black pepper
* Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk constantly over a gentle heat, ideally with a milk frother if you have one. Once hot, pour into mugs and sprinkle with a little more cinnamon to serve.
Enjoy! K xx